Jul. 15, 2020
The Unitil Corporation (NYSE: UTL) is a public utility holding company that provides electric services and gas operations in Maine, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts. Unitil’s primary electric utility companies include Unitil Energy Systems, Inc., Northern Utilities, Inc., and Fitchburg Gas and Electric Light Company. The company also subsidiaries, such as Usource for management services. Here’s how Unitil’s payment system works, along with everything you need to know about their rates.
According to the company’s Chief Financial Officer (and Senior Vice President), Unitil now has 106,000 electric customers and 83,600 natural gas customers in the New England area of the United States. The company’s service territory reaches from Hampton, Portsmouth, and the Seacoast region to cities, such as Concord, Exeter, and Portland, among others.
All Unitil customers are free to choose their energy supplier. Unitil’s operating utilities provide distribution and maintenance services but don’t necessarily supply the energy. However, if you don’t choose an energy supplier, you will receive the basic plan from Unitil – it can have fixed or variable service rates. You can learn more about energy supply options here.
The rates offered by Unitil are regulated and approved by the Public Utilities Commission. However, the basic plan rate may be higher; you can find Unitil’s rates here, and if you’re interested in the tariffs, you can find them here. The default rate is your Price to Compare – you can use it to compare the rates and plans provided by other energy suppliers.
If you’re confused about your energy statement or bill, you can check out the resources here.
There are five ways to pay your Unitil bill. You can change your payment method at any time.
1. MyUnitil Online: You can pay your bill online using your credit card or bank account. You can enroll in e-Billing to make the process faster.
2. UniPay: If you sign up for UniPay (Direct Debit), your monthly bill will be automatically deducted from your bank account each month.
3. In-Person: You can pay your bill in person at certified payment centers such as Western Union. Keep in mind that some of the payment centers may be temporarily unavailable due to the coronavirus pandemic (COVID-19).
4. Pay by Mail: You can mail a check or money order using the return envelope, along with your bill.
5. Pay by Phone: You can pay your bill on the phone using your credit card or bank account.
You can learn more about each bill payment option here.
Unitil has several payment plan options for different customers. Here are three payment programs they currently offer.
1. Budget Billing: You can avoid seasonal spikes in your energy bill using Budget Billing. It allows you to pay the same monthly bill throughout the year. Your average monthly bill depends on your historical energy usage, weather forecasts, and potential price changes. You can learn more about Budget Billing here.
2. Payment Plans: If you fall behind on your bill payments, you can call Unitil and set up a manageable payment plan.
3. Payment Assistance: If you belong to low-income households or have trouble paying your bill, you can apply for payment assistance programs. Some of the programs you can apply to include the Good Neighbor Energy Fund, the Community Action Program (CAP), Home Energy Assistance, Neighbor Helping Neighbor (NHN), and the Federal Fuel Assistance (LIHEAP) program. You can learn more about each financial assistance program here.
If you still need help paying your bill, you can check out some of the resources offered by Unitil here.
All Unitil customers can choose who supplies their energy. You can compare the rates and plans offered by energy suppliers with the Price to Compare and make an informed decision. For example, you can find your electric supply options here.
Alternatively, you can use Arbor’s free TrueRate Protection to check if you’re getting the best rate against the Price to Compare for electric and natural gas service.
Arbor scans the market and gives you the best rates you can get in your service area with Unitil. When your term is expiring, Arbor finds the best rate and switches you again. You always pay the best rate and never have to worry about overpaying for electricity ever again.
You can use the free savings calculator to find out how much you could save in each case. Electricity payments can be complicated, that's why a lot of people trust Arbor to manage their electricity service, so they end up saving on their energy bills.
Furthermore, you can lower your bill more by taking part in energy efficiency programs. Unitil announces rebates and discounts for people who opt for energy-efficient upgrades in their homes. It also helps increase community involvement with greener upgrades. You can learn more about energy efficiency here.
To set up your Unitil account, you need to register on Unitil’s website.
Follow these steps to set up your new account.
1. Go to this link to start the registration, or click on the ‘Create Account’ button on the login page.
2. Enter your Unitil account number to continue.
3. Start entering your details, such as your full name, phone number, Social Security Number (SSN), user name, and password.
4. Double-check all the information to verify it and submit your application.
5. You will receive an email confirmation of the account soon after.
You can log in using your user name here.
Whenever there’s a power outage, you should immediately report it here. You can use your Unitil account number or your phone number and ZIP code to report an outage.
If you’re wondering what other areas are affected by power outages, you can check out the outage map.
If you have a gas emergency, you should immediately call 911 or Unitil’s gas emergency hotline.
Unitil has several customer support options.
Use the Contact page to make general inquiries.
Visit the outage center here for support related to outages and gas emergencies.
You can follow Unitil on Facebook and Twitter for additional customer support and real-time updates.
You can fill out this online form to request information.
Sign-up for Unitil’s newsletter to receive the latest updates here.
You can check out the FAQs in each section to learn more.
Here is some general contact information.
Unitil’s Customer Service (Power Outages and Bill Payment) – 1-888-301-7700
Unitil Headquarters – 1-603-772-0775
For Gas Emergencies – 1-866-900-4115
Mailing Address Payments – Unitil, P.O. Box 981077, Boston, MA 02298-1010
It’s best to call these numbers with your registered phone number.
Take 30 seconds and save up to $250 per year. Use the calculator and save today for a better tomorrow.